Swedish Code of Statutes
concerning instructions for Moderna Museet;
Issued on 22 November, 2007.
The Government issues the following instructions:
§ 1 the purpose of Moderna Museet is to collect, preserve, exhibit and communicate all manner of art from the 20th and 21st centuries.
§ 2 Within its field, this organisation shall
1. present art and its link to social development and older art,
2. promote artistic and cultural regeneration,
3. promote art history research and understanding and interest in contemporary art
4. preserve, catalogue, research the Moderna Museet collection and procure new works to enhance it,
5. make the collection accessible to the public, organise exhibitions and learning activities and operate lending and deposition activities, and
6. research other government-owned or government-supported art collections.
§ 3 The organisation shall promote international contacts by organising exhibitions of Swedish contemporary art abroad, and be responsible for Swedish participation in international art biennials.
§ 4 The organisation’s area of responsibility primarily comprises painting, sculpture, graphic art, drawings and other art forms, mainly dating from the year 1900, and photographic images.
§ 5 As a museum with special responsibilities, the organisation shall
1. work towards an appropriate coordination of the museums in the field and operate lending and deposition activities,
2. assist other museum activities, especially on a regional level, and
3. develop relations between the organisation and the public.
§ 6 In addition to the tasks of the organisation as outlined in §§ 1–3 and 5, it may also provide goods and undertake studies, examinations and other services within its field of operation.
§ 7 The organisation shall cooperate with Arkitekturmuseet and Nationalmuseum in areas of shared interest.
§ 8 The organisation shall be managed by a government-appointed director.
Recruitment and assignments
§ 9 The museum director is a government-appointed director.
Staff disciplinary board
§ 10 The organisation shall have a staff disciplinary board.
Applicability of statutes
§ 11 The organisation shall apply the Statute on Personnel Representation (1987:1101).
Fees § 12 When the organisation carries out the tasks as described in§ 2. 5, it may charge fees for the activity to fully cover the costs. The fee is determined by the organisation, except in cases described in §15 of the Statute on Fees (1992:191). The organisation is entitled to dispose of the income from these fees. Admission shall be free to all exhibitions for children and youths under the age of 19.
§ 13 For activities described in § 6, the organisation shall charge fees to cover the full cost. The size of these fees shall be determined by the organisation, except in cases referred to in § 15 of the Statute on Fees. The organisation may dispose of the income from these fees.
Exceptions from the government statute
§ 14 The following regulations in the statute (2007:515) shall not apply to the organisation:
§ 29 on listing assignments.
This statute will take effect on 1 January, 2008, when Statute (1999:563) with instructions for Moderna Museet will cease to apply.
On behalf of the Government
LENA ADELSOHN LILJEROTH
(Ministry of Culture)