Ur portfolion "Works by artists in
the New York Collection for Stockholm", 1973
© Roy Lichtenstein/BUS 2010
The Moderna Museet in Stockholm is indisputably one of the world’s greatest museums of modern art. Since opening in 1958, the museum has continuously deepened and broadened its collections and organized an extraordinary range of exhibitions, thereby building the foundations for an institution that has few parallels in Europe today.
Through a tradition of exceptional exhibitions grounded by a succession of prominent directors, the museum shares a strong relationship with American art. Beginning in the 1960s, such American artists as Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg, Ed Kienholz, Walter de Maria and Paul McCarthy were introduced to the European audience.
A natural result of the trans-Atlantic exchange was the founding of The American Friends of the Moderna Museet Inc., the AFMM, for the purposes of supporting and promoting activities of the Moderna Museet and encouraging the appreciation and enjoyment of modern art in general. As a U.S. §501(c)(3) public charity, the AFMM enables American supporters and donors to make tax-deductible gifts in the United States in support of these charitable and educational purposes.
As a member or patron of The American Friends of the Moderna Museet Inc., the AFMM, you will be part of a fascinating institution. But not only that, as an AFMM Member or Patron you can also enjoy numerous activities and privileges.
By becoming an AFMM Member or Patron, you contribute towards extending the Moderna Museet’s collection at a time when funding is scarce. Your support is vital to the museum’s development—while giving you the satisfaction and enjoyment of being part of it!
© Cindy Sherman & Metro Pictures Gallery
This work has been purchased for Moderna
Museet´s collection with funds provided
by the American Friends of the Moderna Museet
Inc. in 2008.
Support of the Moderna Museet Collection
Since the founding of the AFMM, important works of art have been donated to and purchased for the Moderna Museet collection with funds provided by the foundation. Works by Tauba Auerbach, Wade Guyton, Mike Kelley, Alice Neel, Richard Prince, Cindy Sherman, Tabaimo and Andrea Zittel, among others, are now part this fantastic collection.
AFMM Member $1,000
• Invitations to American events organized by the AFMM, including private gallery talks, visits to private collections and studios with Moderna Museet curators.
• Personal invitations to previews, openings, art courses, concerts and other events organized by the Friends of MM (MMV) at the Moderna Museet.
• Free admission for one to: the Moderna Museet and Arkitekturmuseet, Nationalmuseum, Gripsholms Slottssamling, Tensta Konsthall, Thielska Galleriet and Färgfabriken in Sweden.
• Free admission to the popular Tuesday Club, the exclusive program of events for the Friends of MM (MMV) at the Moderna Museet.
• Member-newspaper “Bulletinen” (in Swedish), six issues a year, produced by the Friends of MM (MMV).
• Members-only e-newsletter with advance notice of events.
• A 10% discount at the Museum Shop, 20% discount on catalogs for current exhibitions and 10% discount at the Moderna Museet Restaurant.
AFMM Patron $5,000
Connected by strong enthusiasm for contemporary art, the AFMM Patrons enjoy all the above mentioned privileges and close involvement both in Sweden and the United States, plus:
• Invitations to exclusive dinners and parties organized by the AFMM in the United States with artists, curators and the Moderna Museet Director.
• Invitations to exclusive lunch or dinner previews of all the major exhibitions at the Moderna Museet together with Swedish Patrons, artists, curators and the Moderna Museet Director.
• Invitations to extensive programs of studio-, collection- and gallery visits in Stockholm.
• Free entry for two to all exhibitions at the Moderna Museet.
• Access to a specially designed biannual travel program.
• Catalogues from every major exhibition at the Moderna Museet.
The AFMM Board of Directors
Helena Skarstedt (New York, President)
Peggy Anderson (New York)
Marina Bezrukova (New York, Secretary)
Daniel Birnbaum (Stockholm)
Oscar Engelbert (Stockholm)
Björn König (Brussels/Stockholm)
Anders Palm (London)
Per Skarstedt (New York)
Åke Skeppner (Brussels/New York)
AFMM Events Calendar 2015
12 February: Preview and cocktail for Louise Bourgeois – I Have Been to Hell and Back, with introductions by Director Daniel Birnbaum and curator Iris Müller-Westermann at the Moderna Museet in Stockholm.
8 March: Private visit of artist David Salle’s studio followed by lunch in Brooklyn.
6–8 May: VIP program during the opening days of the Venice Biennale including a cocktail reception and visits to the national pavilions and the main exhibition, All the World’s Futures, in Venice.
10 May: Preview and opening party of Rob Pruitt 50th Birthday Bash at the Brant Foundation Art Study Center in Greenwich, Connecticut.
12 June: Preview and dinner in connection to the opening of After Babel, with introductions by Director Daniel Birnbaum and Deputy Director Ann-Sofi Noring at the Moderna Museet in Stockholm.
AFMM Events Calendar 2014
13 February: Preview and cocktail for Gabriel Orozco – Natural Motion, with introductions by Director Daniel Birnbaum, Deputy Director Ann-Sofi Noring and artist Gabriel Orozco at the Moderna Museet in Stockholm.
9 March: Visit to Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn and Nick Rohatyn’s private art collection, in the presence of Director Daniel Birnbaum in New York.
5 May: Private viewing of the Sigmar Polke retrospective at MoMA and coktail at the Modern in New York.
24 September: Cocktail to celebrate the upcoming exhibition Sculpture After Sculpture: Fritsch, Koons, Ray at the Artforum office.
8 October: Preview and cocktail for Sculpture After Sculpture: Fritsch, Koons, Ray, with introductions by Director Daniel Birnbaum and curator Jack Bankowsky at the Moderna Museet in Stockholm.
5 November: Cocktail to celebrate a new acquisition for the Young Americans Project at the Anderson residence in New York.