Through a tradition of exceptional exhibitions grounded by a succession of prominent directors, the museum shares a strong relationship with American art. Beginning in the 1960s, such American artists as Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and Claes Oldenburg were introduced to the European audience.
A natural result of the trans-Atlantic exchange was the founding of The American Friends of the Moderna Museet, the American Friends, for the purposes of supporting and promoting activities of the Moderna Museet and encouraging the appreciation and enjoyment of modern art in general. As a U.S. §501(c)(3) public charity, the American Friends enables American supporters and donors to make tax-deductible gifts in the United States in support of these charitable and educational purposes.
American Friends Membership
As a member or patron of The American Friends of the Moderna Museet, the American Friends, you will be part of a fascinating institution. But not only that, as an American Friends Member or Patron you can also enjoy numerous activities and privileges.
By becoming an American Friends Member or Patron, you contribute towards extending the Moderna Museet’s collection at a time when funding is scarce. Your support is vital to the museum’s development—while giving you the satisfaction and enjoyment of being part of it!
Support of the Moderna Museet Collection
Since the founding of the American Friends in 2007, important works of art have been donated to and purchased for the Moderna Museet collection with funds provided by the foundation. Works by Louise Bourgeois, Mike Kelley, Barbara Kruger, Robert Mapplethorpe, Alice Neel, Richard Prince, Cindy Sherman, Ai Weiwei, among others, are now part this fantastic collection.
American Friends Member $1,000
- Invitations to American events organized by the American Friends, including private gallery talks, visits to private collections and studios with Moderna Museet curators.
- Personal invitations to previews, openings, art courses, concerts and other events organized by the Friends of Moderna Museet (MMV) at the Moderna Museet.
- Free admission for one to: the Moderna Museet and Arkitektur- och Designcentrum (Arkdes), Nationalmuseum, Gripsholms Slottssamling, Wanås Konst and Färgfabriken in Sweden.
- Free admission to the popular Tuesday Club, the exclusive program of events for the Friends of MM (MMV) at the Moderna Museet.
- Member-newspaper (in Swedish), three issues a year, produced by the Friends of Moderna Museet (MMV).
- Members-only e-newsletter with advance notice of events.
- A 10% discount at the Museum Shop, 20% discount on catalogs for current exhibitions and 10% discount at the Moderna Museet Restaurant.
American Friends Patron $5,000
Connected by strong enthusiasm for contemporary art, the American Friends Patrons enjoy all the above mentioned privileges and close involvement both in Sweden and the United States, plus:
- Invitations to exclusive dinners and parties organized by the American Friends in the United States with artists, curators and the Moderna Museet Director.
- Invitations to exclusive lunch or dinner previews of all the major exhibitions at the Moderna Museet together with Swedish Patrons, artists, curators and the Moderna Museet Director.
- Invitations to extensive programs of studio-, collection- and gallery visits in Stockholm.
- Free entry for two to all exhibitions at the Moderna Museet.
- Access to a specially designed biannual travel program.
- Catalogues from every major exhibition at the Moderna Museet.
The American Friends Board of Directors
Peggy Anderson (New York)
Björn König (London)
Helena Skarstedt (New York, President)
Per Skarstedt (New York)
Åke Skeppner (Brussels)
Katarina Swanström (Stockholm)
Gitte Ørskou (Stockholm)
Christine Mack (New York)
Support is welcomed from private individuals, companies, charitable organizations and collectors who wish to support the Moderna Museet as an American Friends Member or Patron, by making additional contributions or gifts of works of art. If you wish to join the American Friends please mail your check payable to:
The American Friends of the Moderna Museet
c/o Helena Skarstedt
115 East 73rd Street
New York, NY 10021, USA
American Friends President
Phone: +1 212 288-5041
Cell: +1 917 402-5420
115 East 73rd Street
New York, NY 10021, USA
Head of Development,
Phone: +46 (0)8 520 235 12
SE-103 27 Stockholm, Sweden
Publicerad 20 november 2015 · Uppdaterad 20 oktober 2021